You made the right decision by choosing to add a memory foam mattress topper to your bed. A mattress topper sits on top of a mattress to provide additional protection and support. Besides ensuring more comfortable and restful sleep, it can help relieve chronic neck, back and shoulder pain caused by firm mattresses or those that provide inadequate support. A mattress topper also helps delay sagging and general wear to prolong the life of your mattress.
You’re probably shopping around for a memory foam mattress topper right now, but do you know how thick you want your mattress to be? Here are some factors to consider when looking for the right mattress topper to suit your needs.
2-Inch Memory Foam Toppers
The thickness of the memory foam topper you need depends on the support you want. In most cases, a 2-inch memory topper is sufficient for light-framed people as it can provide adequate support without causing the whole body to sink into the mattress. This kind of mattress topper is ideal for:
- People who are experiencing average pain
- People who need medium comfort
- Those who are on a budget since 2-inch memory foam toppers are usually the cheapest
3-Inch Memory Foam Toppers
This option is a bit thicker hence it is more expensive. People who should choose this thickness level are:
- Those who need to relieve more pressure from their back and joints
- People who need a new mattress but are on a budget (In most cases, you won’t be able to feel your lumpy old mattress with a 3-inch topper.)
- People who need more comfort and support than a 2-inch topper can provide
4-Inch Memory Foam Toppers
These are usually the thickest mattress topper available on the market and is a good option for:
- People weighing over 250 pounds
- Those who sleep on the floor using a futon
- Those who want extra comfort when camping
- Those who often have guests as these thick toppers can double as a mattress of the floor
(Note: If you have a bad back, be sure that your memory foam topper can provide adequate support. A good quality foam topper for those with back problems should have a density of 4 – 5 lbs.)
When to Buy a Memory Foam Topper
A foam topper is not just for people with back problems or those who experience chronic neck and shoulder pain when sleeping. It can also be useful in the following instances:
- Your current mattress is too firm and you want to soften it up a bit.
- You have a convertible sofa bed and the folds hurt your back.
- You need an extra bed you can throw on the floor when you have guests.
- Go camping a lot and want the extra comfort of a mattress.
There are many kinds of mattress toppers available. A memory foam mattress topper is a good choice if you want to add an extra layer of comfort without breaking the bank. Always buy high-quality memory foam mattress toppers from a trusted manufacturer or brand.